Travel as Metaphor

The blog of novelist Sue Swift.

Friday, August 18, 2006

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes…a short hop o’er the pond transmutes…

When I last wrote, I was excited about a forthcoming trip to Europe and asking for packing tips. Now I need even more help, since that short hop o’er the pond has transmuted into a lengthy adventure, maybe even a totally new life.

From my teenage years, I have wanted to live in another culture, and Europe naturally attracted me since my parents are British. I count as one of the biggest mistakes of my life the fact that I came back to the States after a wonderful summer in Britain. My life since then has not been the happiest: a brutal 20-year-long stint as a trial attorney and a failed marriage.

The failed marriage has shocked me into action. At age 51, it is time for me to live the life I want instead of the life thers selected for me. Like many of you, I’m sure, I have spent most of my life fulfilling others’ expectations, most notably those of my parents and my husband.

Now it’s time to create the life that I want, and I’m betting that life is in Europe.

As previously planned, I will be leaving September 11th, IMO the safest travel day of the year and flying into London. From there, southern Italy and a new life. I will not return to the States until next spring, and at that point it will be just to visit. I plan to get my UK or EU passport, which will enable me to live and work anywhere in the EU indefinitely.

Any suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home